Wednesday, March 25, 2015

What I've Learned So Far As A Director


Throughout this past year, I've established myself as a Director/Writer and been strictly following that path. Although I am always desiring to further my knowledge in other aspects of filmmaking such as cinematography, editing, production design, and sound design, I feel that my true passion for filmmaking lies with writing and directing.

All three of my short films I have written and directed and through every film, I discovered new things, I succeeded at many things, and failed as well. However, it is through the hardships, through memory cards crashing and footage being corrupted where I learned to always be prepared. Preparation was probably the biggest thing I learned this past year. As a director, you must always be prepared for technical issues but also, it is just as important to be prepared for your crew and your actors.

Being a director isn't just bringing a creative vision to life, it's also about bringing a group of talented, artistic individuals together that will be able to maintain and sustain your creative vision and help bring it to the screen. Always be considerate and understanding, but never let anyone else run your set. Make executive ideas and communicate them effectively and in a timely manner. No matter how tiring, awful, or unproductive your shoot was, always thank your cast and crew for being there and commend them on their good work but also address those who need to improve in a constructive way. Devote yourself to the story and to the characters because in order to get the performances you need from your actors, you need to know exactly what it is you want to see and hear. These are the most important things I learned for myself as a director this year and I only hope to learn more as I continue to direct more films. I will not only motivate myself, but others as well. Inspire myself and inspire others, tell a story and have it be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment